Guadalajara Testing Kitchen Restaurant
Guadalajara Training Kitchen is bringing back a taste of our local history for the next generation.
Librado Casillas first built apartments at the site of the original Guadalajara Restaurant on Casillas Street (named after him) in the 1940’s. He added a grocery store in 1945 and then converted the apartments into the restaurant in 1951. It closed in 2006. Unfortunately, the original building burned down in 2014.
After 12 years, Guadalajara is back! Sid Strebeck approached Mike Mendoza about bringing the restaurant back. Mike is the grandson of Librado Casillas. He cooked for his mom when she ran the restaurant until 1998 and then he and his wife ran it until it closed in 2006. For the last year, Mike, Sid, and John Rink of K-Bob’s Steakhouse have been working hard to reopen a piece of local history. Until the main restaurant is finished, Guadalajara is hosting its training kitchen at 2916 N Main to train the chefs on how to cook authentic Guadalajara dishes!